Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Newsflash!

I'm now at UC Santa Cruz enrolled as a graduate student having the (busy) time of my life. Feeling very inspired to get this blog up and running again, I'll start by sharing a few of the things I've been doing recently.

Printing the Bain News Service Photos (LOC)

As a start, the ten class members of SciComs 2010 were served a hefty dose of self reflection, having to write biographical blurbs (see below) and our own obituaries (for the hearty, upon request).

Aside from being useless behind a microscope, I’m in science writing for the variety. Like many a writer before me, I love language, learning and talking about science. I love new experiences that deepen my understanding of the world and its people. Science writing gives both author and reader access to every field touched upon by research, which is to say, every field there is.

I’ve worked in science communication from many places: the redwoods of Northern California, the ponds of Cape Cod's National Seashore and the caverns of the Large Hadron Collider, the largest particle accelerator, at CERN in Geneva. Every new place, every new project, teaches me something and broadens my perspective. The world will always have something new to teach us, science writing allows me to remain its student.

When I'm not envisioning my future demise, I'm writing at the Monterey Herald, a local daily newspaper. Working on a big piece tomorrow, look for it here in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment